Marsala | Colour of the Year & Dupes

Friday 30 January 2015

in

Last year I fell head over heels in love with Pantone's Colour of the Year Radiant Orchid.  It was bright, bold, pink, and fun.  This year, my appreciation for Marsala, the 2015 Colour of the Year has been gradual.  At first glance it seemed like a delicious dinner recipe, a beautiful way to decorate a kitchen, the perfect colour for a rustic dirt path.  It made me think of bricks in Tuscany, not lipstick.  I had wanted to take some time to write this post so I could gather my thoughts beyond "But I want bright pink".



Marsala is a warm, rustic brick red.  I think Marsala is a great colour for a contouring blush, and maybe a nail polish.  I still think it is better suited for home decor and fine cuisine, but not incompatible with makeup.

As usual, Sephora released a limited edition line partnering with Pantone to celebrate the Colour of the Year.  Last year I picked up a matte lipstick.  This year after much debate I decided to pick up the "Cooling Marsala Multi-Stick" (in my books, a multi-stick is really just a nice way to say blush!).  The stick comes packaged in a rose gold twist up tube.

My main hesitation before purchasing this product was that it would be too similar to Josie Maran's Colour Stick in "Spice" which I have in love.  I decided to make the purchase because while similar, I found the colours unique enough.  Also, once this set is gone, its gone, and I didn't want to run the risk (a make-up lover's nightmare!)


Laura Mercier, Pantone, Josie Maran, Stila (top), Make Up Forever


Top: Make Up Forever, Stila
Bottom: Pantone, Josie Maran, Laura Mercier

Sephora + Pantone Universe Cooling Marsala Multi-Stick


Marsala is the stat of the post...



Oops!  My nail scratched the top before I took a photo.

Pressed on my skin, the formula is cooling in a relaxing "can I bring this everywhere in the summer?" sort of way.  It is more sheer than other similar products I have, such as Josie Maran's Colour Stick in "Spice", and has a strong gold metallic lean to it.  I would describe this product as having both highlighting and contouring properties.  Easy to blend, this product is quite creamy.  I like the natural glow that this blush creates!

Josie Maran Argan Colour Stick in "Spice"

Compared to the Sephora + Pantone blush stick this was rougher to apply to swatch.  I tend to use a brush to apply and love the warm rosey glow it creates.  The only complaint I have about this product is that is smells very strongly of herbs.  The Argan Oil is a great ingredient, but the smell...bleh.  Thankfully it doesnt smell as strong once applied!

Laura Mercier Stick Face Colour in "Peach Glow"

I'll be honest.  This colour isn't really even arguably in the Marsala family.  I included this to compare formulas to other cream blushes.  This formula has a bit of a wax finish to it.  I love both the finish and the colour because it looks so natural and it creates a beautiful, natural, dewey glow.  It has a gold lean to it that just lights up my face.

Stila Convertible Colour in "Peony"

This blush is probably my favourite of the bunch.  It is more matte than the sticks, with a bit of a satin finish.  I think this colour is the most flattering on me, and I like how easy it is to build up. This is actually a deluxe mini, but the product lasts so long that I won't need to purchase it in full size for quite a while!

Make Up Forever Blush Crème Second Skin Creme Blush in "320"

This is the most matte of the five blushes I have compared today.  Perhaps a bit too bright and pink to be considered "Marsala", but I think it is close enough to include.  I find that once this settles it looks like more of a powder.  I find the matte finish to be very flattering.  This product is long lasting, and again, a little goes a long way!


Make Up Forever "320", Stila "Peony", Pantone "Marsala", Joise Maran "Spice", Laura Mercier "Peach Glow"


I think the closest dupe is either "Peony" or "Spice", but in either case "Marsala" is more sheer, and more shimmery.

What do you think of the Colour of The Year?  Will it impact your beauty or fashion choices this year?





No comments:

Post a Comment